Staff members from a range of Vienna-based organizations including the following are joining the Shadowing Programme 2022:
- International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) - www.iaea.org
- Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO) - https://www.ctbto.org/
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) - https://www.unodc.org/
- United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA) - www.unoosa.org
- United Nations Office for Disarmament Affairs (UNODA) - www.un.org/disarmament/vienna
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Office in Austria - www.unhcr.at
- United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) - https://www.unido.org
- United Nations Information Service (UNIS) Vienna - www.unis.unvienna.org
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Vienna Office and Secretariat of the Carpathian Convention - https://www.unep.org/
- International Commission for the Protection of the Danube River (ICPDR) - https://www.icpdr.org/main/
- International Narcotics Control Board (INCB) Secretariat - https://www.incb.org/
- United Nations Liaison Office for Peace and Security in Vienna (UNLOPS Vienna) - https://unlops.unmissions.org/
- IOM Vienna Regional Office - https://rovienna.iom.int/
How to participate
If you are a student who is enrolled in a Masters or a PhD programme at a university in Poland you are invited to apply by sending an email to the United Nations Information Centre in Warsaw (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the following information:
- Telephone number
- Email address
- Field of study
- Year of study
- Field of interest
- Name of the organizations you would like to “shadow” (first and second preference)
- If selected, what would you expect to get out of the Shadowing Programme? (max. 50 words)
PLEASE NOTE: The number of applications that can be accepted is limited, so you are encouraged to apply as early as possible. The deadline is 20 September 2022. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Furthermore, subject to availability you might be placed with a different organization than indicated.
The Shadowing Programme is not part of a recruiting process. It is an opportunity for students to gain insights into the work of a UN staff member.
How to know if you are selected to participate
The selection of students who can participate in the Shadowing Programme will be made after all registrations have been collected. The successful candidates will be contacted by email.
The Shadowing Programme takes place to help mark United Nations Day (24 October). It is coordinated by UNIS Vienna and organized in cooperation with all participating Vienna-based organizations.
The United Nations in Vienna
Vienna is one of the four headquarters of the United Nations, along with New York, Geneva and Nairobi. Since its opening on 23 August 1979 the VIC has become home to several different UN organizations. More than 5,000 employees from over 125 countries work for the 16 international organizations and units of the UN in Vienna. About a third are Austrians.